In your words: #CBJ officially hire John Davidson to be the new President of Hockey Operations

One of my goals with this blog is to put a focus on the #CBJ community, not just the team. Of course I’ll still do game recaps and analyze big events but I also want to present an angle I think not many others blogs cover. This is a new feature I’ve been mulling over in my head the last few weeks where I basically let things play out after a big event and then look back on what was said on twitter and share the best of what I found, in case you missed it (or might not follow the person who said it). The inaugural post in this series revolves around the status-quo shattering hiring of John Davidson as the new President of Hockey Ops for the #CBJ!

Note: when I do these I will be using code to convert all @ twitter names to follow buttons so you can easily follow someone if you like what they have to say.

It began with a tweet at 9:49pm last night:

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline – October 23rd, 2012 – 10:49pm
Puck-rakers: #CBJ nearing deal to hire John Davidson as president of hockey operations, sources have told The Dispatch http://bit.ly/RU6YR8

The reaction was immediate:

Alison @AlisonL – October 23rd, 2012 – 10:50pm
JD to CBus??? Where do we sign?!?! #doit #CBJ

Matt d @PSUMatt2005 – October 23rd, 2012 – 10:52pm
#CBJ close to hiring John Davidson? We are going to be AWESOME in 2017 when hockey is back.

Nick LeBeau @NHLeBeau44 – October 23rd, 2012 – 10:52pm
CBJ hired John Davidson. Finally starting to turn the franchise around.

Rob Kunz @Rob10TVSports – October 23rd, 2012 – 10:59pm
First soccer-gate, then Ken Hitchcock to the Blues, and now John Davidson to Columbus. Some texture to those #STLBLues vs. #CBJ games, eh?

D. Darko @frickindannie – October 23rd, 2012 – 11:06pm
The Jackets hiring John Davidson kind of reminds me of the Reds hiring Walt Jocketty, I hope there are similar results.

A @AK_CBJ – October 23rd, 2012 – 11:25pm
I don’t know a god damn thing about john davidson (besides all the articles of course), but this seems to be fantastic news for the #cbj

Alex Stallings @astall35 – October 23rd, 2012 – 11:49pm
Forgive me, but I’ll get excited about John Davidson once there is a CBA. #CBJ

David Rogers @FrozenNotes – October 24th, 2012 – 12:33am
No real surprise John Davidson is reportedly headed for Columbus. Reports from June linked him there. Looks like a perfect fit. #StlBlues

Brad Jackson @actionjaxon02 – October 24th, 2012 – 12:33am
Wow, just saw #CBJ are hiring John Davidson, biggest move in franchise history easily, now if only there was @ NHL to be played.

Fast forward to Wednesday morning:

Aaron Portzline @Aportzline – October 24th, 2012 – 8:41am
Dispatch: Told #CBJ hiring of John Davidson is now official. Press conference to be held at 2 p.m. today in Nationwide Arena.

Once again, reaction was quick and overwhelmingly positive

Jamie Miller @JD312 – October 24th, 2012 – 8:41am
There is hope! Welcome to Columbus John Davidson! #CBJ

Jon Studer @JonathonStuder – October 24th, 2012 – 8:44am
John Davidson joining the #CBJ is great news! Can’t wait to see this team in a couple years

John Forslund @JohnForslund – October 24th, 2012 – 8:44am
Congrats to John Davidson new Prez of CBJ. Perfect man to restoke the flame in a wonderful hockey market! #sorrysergei

IBleedUnionBlue @IBleedUnionBlue – October 24th, 2012 – 9:01am
Happy Day! John Davidson to the #CBJ!

Blue Jackets confirm the news

NHL Blue Jackets @BlueJacketsNHL – October 24th, 2012 – 9:04am
NEWS: #CBJ to introduce John Davidson as president of hockey operations at 2 p.m. — http://bit.ly/S44XVG

More reactions (skipped lots of national stuff, RT’s and people repeating the same thing)

Rob Mixer @RobMixer – October 24th, 2012 – 9:17am
BLOG: #CBJ name longtime executive, broadcaster & player John Davidson as president of hockey operations — http://bit.ly/S47GOS

Mike B @CBJ4Ever – October 24th, 2012 – 9:32am
#CBJ hire John Davidson. There is hope!

Chris P @CPFro3 – October 24th, 2012 – 9:38am
Welcome to Columbus John Davidson! #JD2CBJ #JTBJD

Don DePerro @BizFirstGuy – October 24th, 2012 – 9:44am
I’d like to congratulate John McConnell and Blue Jackets leadership for hiring John Davidson to lead hockey operations. An excellent move.

Todd Sharrock @ToddSharrock – October 24th, 2012 – 10:02am
Have John Davidson and family on plane getting ready to head back to Columbus. pic.twitter.com/nA0oqmas

Ray Ferraro @rayferrarotsn – October 24th, 2012 – 10:03am
#CBJ hiring of John Davidson excellent move / positive, consensus builder, someone people like to associate themselves with-Good luck JD

derdrache @derdrache – October 24th, 2012 – 10:07am
John Davidson in, Craig Patrick in, Anisimov, Dubinsky, Erixon, Murray in. This ain’t your 2011-2012 #CBJ!!!

Greg Wyshynski @wyshynski – October 24th, 2012 – 10:10am
We don’t want to say hiring John Davidson is huge for CBJ, but he just retroactively acquired Chris Kreider in the Nash deal. #IfOnly

Dan Edwards @Canadan82 – October 24th, 2012 – 10:14am
JD is going to be an absolute beauty for #CBJ.. JPM clearly wants a winner and the fact that 100s of people now look stupid makes me smile

Yahoo Sports NHL @YahooSportsNHL – October 24th, 2012 – 10:39am
Is Oct. 24, 2012, the date we’ll say the Blue Jackets turned it around? Here’s hoping, and good luck to John Davidson. http://tinyurl.com/8ebhptd

Brian @bunktuzzi44 – October 24th, 2012 – 11:18am
Welcome to the #cbjfam John Davidson! #jd2cbj

Dave Gerold @dtgerold – October 24th, 2012 – 11:18am
Yesterday I dreamed of skating on #NHL ice, and John Davidson was #CBJ president. Today, that dream came true.

Lori Schmidt @LoriSchmidt – October 24th, 2012 – 12:49pm
John Davidson’s mustache doesn’t have its own Twitter account yet? You disappoint me, internets.

Rob Mixer @RobMixer – October 24th, 2012 – 1:38pm
John Davidson saw me taking a picture, broke from the pack, walked over and introduced himself. Pretty cool. #CBJ #JD2CBJ

Press conference started at ~ 2:15pm

This is when the love for Davidson the person, not just the idea of a new president started to come in. I tried to focus on your reactions and stay away from tweeted quotes from the presser, if you want quote I encourage you to watch the video here to see what was said.

Steve O @sloheim – October 24th, 2012 – 2:23pm
I am genuinely concerned that John Davidson will turn the Blue Jackets into a good team. Love JD, dont like #CBJ.

derdrache @derdrache – October 24th, 2012 – 2:24pm
John Davidson reminds me of Seargant Slaughter. Instantly like him. #CBJ

Alison @AlisonL – October 24th, 2012 – 2:28pm
Yep. LOVE HIM. #JD2CBJ

Josh Bratton @JTBratton – October 24th, 2012 – 2:30pm
Yea, i dont ever want JD to ever leave our organization. I’m 10000% sold. Get me some hockey now so i can watch him work his magic. #JD2CBJ

Dan P. @DP_Cannon – October 24th, 2012 – 2:31pm
Listening to JD, it’s clear he just *gets* it. Tremendous asset to have with #CBJ now.

Jeff Svoboda @JeffSvoboda – October 24th, 2012 – 2:35pm
Not surprised to hear John Davidson is killing his intro presser. The man was a great broadcaster and is a great hire #CBJ #JDPresser

PATRICK WILLIAMS @pwilliamsNHL – October 24th, 2012 –  2:37pm
Davidson corrects reporter who calls him “Mr. Davidson” and says “John. John.” Says a lot.

Nikki Ellis @elan2802 – October 24th, 2012 – 2:45pm
Very impressed by the #JDPresser. Makes me excited for the future. #JD2CBJ

As for Lori Schmidt’s earlier complaint about the lack of a twitter account for John Davidson’s facial hair, that was addressed later in the afternoon:

Lori Schmidt @LoriSchmidt – October 24th, 2012 – 5:02pm
Well done, internet. You got it done. I applaud you. John Davidson’s Stach is indeed online now at @DavidsonsStach.

I’ll end this with maybe my favorite quote of the day:

Rob Mixer @RobMixer – October 24th, 2012 – 7:52pm
@ JeffMarek on #CBJ John Davidson: “This is one of those home runs where the outfielder doesn’t even look over his shoulder.” #JD2CBJ

One Comment