Today’s NHL Draft Eve edition of the #CBJ Community Spotlight shines on MM3 super fan, Brett “Eyeheart Methot” Michel.
Who is Brett? In her own words:
I’m just a girl who loves hockey and this great city of Columbus. I try to be positive no matter what. Probably annoyingly so. I work for an exhibit company in Westerville and have since I got out of college. I make signs, lobby makeovers, conference rooms, athletic facilities and tradeshow displays, and such. All of which you may see pics of if you follow me on twitter, because I’m proud of the projects I’ve been a part of and love how much my job lets me travel. Outside of work and hockey I’m one of 6 kids, but my family is spread out all over the world so I surround myself with close friends so that I can have a local family, pretty much wherever I go. I’m not shy, so if you ever see me at a Tweetup, at a game, or anywhere really, please don’t hesitate to say hello.
On to the questions!
The easy questions:
1. Favorite #CBJ player & why:
Marc Methot. I started paying attention to him after I heard him on a morning radio show last year. Starved for CBJ news of any kind (it was September, sooo close to season) I perked up when I heard a Blue Jacket was gonna be on next. He amused me and I realized I didn’t know much about the man who up until this point I had called Method Man. So I started paying attention to his game. And loved it. How he’s not afraid to play the body, stays at home and guards his goalie and the crease. He may not be the fanciest defender out there, but if he’s getting out played he just levels the forward. He is known for playing big minutes, even when injured (hello exploded thumb!) He’s also one of the most personable and friendliest Blue Jackets I’ve had the pleasure of meeting, what’s not to like?
2. Favorite non-#CBJ player & why:
Jake Voracek. Because he used to be a CBJer, and his rookie season was the first I started really paying attention to the Jackets, and really devoting my emotions to hockey in general. His childlike joy for the game as he got to play in the big leagues was infectious to me. He still looks like its Christmas morning when he scores a goal or assists on a big one. Anyone who loves the game that much is joy to watch.
3. Favorite #CBJ moment:
Opening night, any opening night the past 4 years that I’ve gone. The anticipation of an entire new year, because hockey is one of those sports where a new year can mean everything.
4. Favorite general hockey moment:
Overtime wins. The knot in the pit of your stomach that turns into a victorious shout when your team pots the winner and its over.
5. Team you would root for if #CBJ had never existed (not moved):
If we weren’t here and Nashville was, I think I’d cheer for Nashville. I like their physical defensive style, and Barry Trotz the bulldog is fun.
6. Favorite non-#CBJ jersey (in general, not that you own):
Winnipeg Jets. Who doesn’t want to wear a jet?
Some tougher questions:
7. What are your expectations for the #CBJ in the next 1, 3 and 5 years:
- 1 – competitive. I want 500+.
- 3 – playoffs.
- 5 – deep into playoffs, legit Stanley Cup contender.
8. If you were GM of the #CBJ, who do you draft at second overall & why:
Can’t say I know enough. But my gut says we need a forward. Defensemen take a long time to develop and we need scoring talent yesterday. The back end looks pretty good to me. So Yakupov or Grigorenko.
9. Would you rather see the #CBJ be more competitive next season but miss the playoffs or get another high draft pick & why:
Competitive. I never want to see my team lose. A high draft pick a couple years in a row may not solve the problem (see Edmonton).
10. Can you list something(s) that you like and something(s) you’d like to see changed with the #CBJ community:
I want more positive columnists/reporters. We get enough negative press from folk outside the area. I’d like to see someone find the positive things the fans can find and bring them to light. But I suppose bad news getting traction is a media hazard in all areas.
11. Who are 5 #CBJ twitter accounts you think more people should be following?
I hate things like this because I KNOW I’m forgetting people but Mark made me do it so here goes…
- @RedditCBJ – my music twin and bringer of this blog (blatant pandering to the Man)
- @AlisonL – another great blogger who like me always tries to find something positive to say.
- @frickindannie - who was the first CBJ community person I knew, thanks for bring me into the family Dannie!
- @RobMixer - an insider, who has no problem slumming with us fans and helping us stay so connected.
- @MarcMethot3 – because he’s my favorite.
12. Any shout outs you want to give or blogs/twitter accounts you want to help promote?
My drankin bros @CPFro3 and @Cmanesh_. My fav ladies @VanessaGarvin, @SumthingFun, @Imaraindancer, and @greegor23. Other great fellas – @WakeupChris, @Derdrache, @ProjectPsion, @Canadan82, and @bunktuzzi44. And some of the funniest guys on twitter – @SirChadlyOC and @Akrygier.
I’m certain I’m leaving awesome people out but for more suggestions just go to my Twitter page and see who I follow
13. Any final thoughts… on anything?
Smile friends. Its off season. We have everything to look forward to. The past is just that, behind us.